Are you sure that all your appliances are truly clean and germs-free? Most of the small appliances have some type of dial control or handle that is being frequently touched, leaving behind the germs such as Salmonella, E. coli, plus mold, Listeria, yeast, etc. To resolve this issue, we are presenting our smart steps for how to clean your small kitchen appliances, to make them tidy and bacteria-free.
Best way to Clean these Small Kitchen Appliances
We will begin with the Coffee makers.
Calming Coffee Makers
No matter whether you are using a drip coffee maker, French press, espresso machine, single pod coffee maker, or electric gooseneck kettles for pour-over coffee, you should clean them on regular basis. Frequent cleaning makes both good-tasting coffee and keeps bacteria growing.
A coffee maker is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria and mold growth because it combines moisture and warmth.
For the best cleaning results, do the following steps after every use:
- Detach all the removable parts of the coffee maker to clean away coffee grounds and oil residue.
- Next, you can either hand wash those parts with warm, soapy water or use a dishwasher.
- Now, you should vacant the water reservoirs and drip trays.
- Finally, have a quick wipe down to the exterior of the coffee maker and to the warming plates with a clean damp cloth.
- Remember to leave the reservoir lid open between every use so that it can fully dry out.
Cleaning Tip for mineral build-up:
- Fill the reservoir with equal parts of distilled white vinegar and distilled water.
- Leave it for up to 1 hour and then run a brewing cycle.
- Now, give it two full brewing cycles run with just plain distilled water.
You can now enjoy a tastier and healthy coffee! Let’s move to clean other small but important kitchen appliances.
Bold Blender, Fantastic Food Processor, or Juicy Juicer
Fortunately, these appliances’ cleaning is a breeze because they can do most of the cleaning work by themselves. Let’s see how?
- Rinse out the blender or juicer cup with plain water after each use.
- Next, fill half of it with warm water and a couple of drops of liquid dishwashing.
- Have a whirl for a maximum of half a minute.
- Wash the lid with this solution as you empty the container into the sink.
- Detach the appliance blades and lid parts.
- Rinse them well with hot water.
- Leave it to dry completely before reuniting.
- Lastly, unplug the machine and wipe down the base with a clean damp cloth, not a dripping one.
- Remember, use a soft clean toothbrush to clean the hard-to-reach spaces such as between buttons or knobs. For this, you should dip the toothbrush in a solution of warm water and a pint of dishwashing liquid.
- Now, wipe down with a clean cloth dipped in plain water and allow it to air dry.
Sizzling Grill, Cruel Panini Press, or Wonder Waffle Maker
All of them have a part with a nonstick surface. Thus, cleaning it properly is a MUST. Cleaning will keep them from cross-contamination of food bacteria. In addition to that, it will preserve their finish for the long run. Let’s know how to clean it?
- Unplug the appliance just after using it.
- Now, wet a number of paper towels to wipe down the hot grill. Use the metal tongs to hold those paper towels.
- Once the appliance gets completely cooled down, make a cleaning solution by mixing one cup of warm water with a drop of dishwashing liquid.
- Dampen a clean, soft cloth in this cleaning solution. Now, wipe the entire cooking surface and any exterior surfaces with this damp cloth.
- If you notice any extra buildup grease, use a clean soft toothbrush to get into the crevices. Don’t ever use a sharp object or scrubbing tool for the nonstick surface.
- Finally, wipe down with another cloth damped in plain, clean water, and dry with a soft microfiber cloth.
For appliances with detachable plates and drip trays, wash in hot and soapy water.
A microwave is a dream appliance for late-night owls. So, to make it tidy and bacteria-free, clean it frequently. Let’s see how to clean the inside of a microwave by letting it do the work.
- Fill a container with at least one cup of water, and make sure the container is microwave safe.
- Run it until the water is boiling.
- Now, turn off the microwave.
- Make sure that the door remains closed for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- You will notice that the steam will loosen the residue food particles.
- This will make them easy to wipe away with no scratching needed.
- Make a cleaning solution that is made from one part of distilled white vinegar and one part warm water.
- Dip a soft clean cloth in this solution and wipe down all interior surfaces.
- Wash its turntable glass plate.
- Finally, wipe down the exterior handles, dial control, or keypad with a disinfecting wipe to remove any bacteria.
NEVER forget to clean the hood and filter if you have a combo of microwave and range hood vent mounted over your stovetop. It will remove the greasy residue.
Mad Mixer (Stand or Portable)
A portable or stand mixer is a core appliance for cooking. However, mishaps happen if food particles get stuck in the blades or beaters. Make sure to clean them regularly with the help of our super-smart steps to clean small kitchen appliances like this mad mixer:
- First, you have to fill the mixer’s bowl with warm water and a pint of dishwashing liquid.
- Turn it on for at least 15 seconds to loosen food residue.
- If your mixer is detachable, disassemble it and wash out its non-electrical parts in hot soapy water.
- Now, unplug the appliance and wipe down its exterior with a damp cloth (soap warm water).
- Rinse with a clean damp cloth (dipped in plain water) and dry with a soft microfiber cloth.
- Use a soft toothbrush to reach the spaces that need special attention such as the motor ventilation slots, etc. They need to be clean to keep from overheating or worse.
Toasty Toaster or Toaster Oven
Toasters typically face the problem of bread crumbs and built-up grease. They can even result in fires. It’s important to clean pop-up toaster and toaster ovens frequently.
- First, unplug them.
- Then, shake it upside down to remove any loose crumbs.
- For toaster ovens: wash the removable tray with hot soapy water, rinse with plain water, and air dry after each use. Weekly cleaning is important.
- After unplugging it, use a soft damp cloth (hot, soapy water) to wipe down the interior and exterior avoiding heating parts.
- Then, use a clean soft toothbrush to reach any tight spaces.
- Finally, rinse with a damp cloth (in plain water).
- Allow air-dry for at least 10 minutes.
Slaughtering Electric Can Opener
Most electric can openers come with a blade that touches the contents of the can, frequently. It leads to the danger of cross-contamination. So, regular cleaning is very much needed after every use.
- Make sure to unplug it.
- Wipe down its blade and casing by using a clean damp cloth (warm soapy water).
- Don’t ever submerge the whole appliance in water.
- After every few months, remove the cutting mechanism and wash in hot soapy water.
- Use a soft clean toothbrush to remove food particles residue from tight spaces.
- Rinse and air-dry completely before reassembling its parts.
I hope these cleaning techniques will not only keep the appliances tidy but also increase their life.