An air fryer uses 85% less oil and can also bake, and roast besides frying foods. To keep it working efficiently, Air Fryer needs to be cleaned regularly. In this article, learn to know how to clean your air fryer with baking soda.
You may also be interested in the Best COSORI Air Fryers
When do you need to Clean the Air Fryer?
The air fryers have to mostly deal with raw food. That’s for one should frequently clean the components that have direct contact with the food such as the basket, tray, or plate. In short, clean them after each use.
The interior should also be cleaned to make sure that no food residue particles block the grid. Because this can diminish air circulation and will lead to poor air frying.
So, the overall cleaning frequency depends on how often you use the appliance. However, the exterior and the heating coils usually require cleaning at least after several uses.
Basic Requirements for Air Fryer Cleaning
- 10 – 15 mins working time
- 1 – 2 hrs overall/total time
- Beginner skill level
Equipment / Tools Required
- 1 piece of Non-abrasive dishcloth or a sponge
- A piece of soft clean toothbrush or a soft bottle brush
- 1 piece of soft clean microfiber cloth
- Liquid dishwasher with a degreaser
- Powdered Dishwasher detergent
- Good quality Baking soda
Method to Clean an Air Fryer with Baking Soda
First Step: Unplug and make it Cool
Remember, make sure that you unplug the appliance from the wall outlet. Leave it to cool down completely before beginning the cleaning process.
Second Step: Wash the Detachable Parts
- Now, detach all of its removable parts such as the crisper plate, tray, and basket.
- Handwash all these components with the help of dishwashing liquid and hot water.
- You can also use a dishwasher. But, make sure to check the user guide or instructions that are these components dishwasher-safe. Because most companies recommend handwashing the air fryer baskets to prolong their life.
- If there is some baked-on food residue stuck on the plate or basket:
- Fill a sink or large tub with hot water
- Add dishwashing liquid that contains a degreaser
- Leave them to soak for at least 15 to 20 minutes to loosen the residue particles.
- Now, use a soft brush to softly scrub those particles.
Third Step: Allow to Dry
Always remember that you should dry all the components completely by using a soft microfiber cloth. Don’t ever place little moisture components back into the air fryer.
Fourth Step: Time to Wipe Down the Interior
- Dampen the soft sponge or dishcloth with warm water and dishwashing liquid.
- Use this non-abrasive sponge or dishcloth to wipe out the base unit or interior opening.
- Next, dry the base unit thoroughly with a microfiber cloth.
Fifth Step: Wipe Down the Exterior
- After cleaning the interior, it’s time to rinse out the sponge.
- Use this damp sponge to wipe down the exterior of the appliance including the control panel.
- Make sure the sponge is damp, not dripping.
- Allow it to air dry, completely.
Sixth: Have a Detailed Cleaning
After several uses, have a deep cleaning of the exterior and heating coils.
- Check if there are any grease splatters or food residue chunks on the heating coil.
- Use a damp soft sponge to wipe it, thoroughly.
Super Smart Steps to Get rid of Bad Odor
If there any bad odor develops in your air fryer develops, check if there must be some food splatters stuck somewhere inside the appliance.
Follow these steps:
- Take a small bowl, and make a paste with one tablespoon of water with two tablespoons of baking soda.
- Apply it on a dampened sponge and clean the interior.
- Next, apply this paste on a small soft toothbrush dipped and get into all of the corners or tight spaces.
- Rinse with a sponge damped with clean plain water.
- Dry completely with a microfiber cloth before reassembling the basket and plates.
- Finally, plugin it again.
Super Smart Tips to Keep it Clean
- Don’t ever use sharp or metal objects for scrubbing the food residue. Because it can damage the non-stick surface.
- NEVER put it on a stovetop or don’t ever place it too close to an open flame. This can melt its plastic components.
- Don’t submerge the base unit in water.
- Before operating it, always maintain at least six inches of space from other appliances to provide it with good air circulation.
- Don’t stuff too much in the food baskets. As it can damage the interior heating components.
- Before cleaning or storing any component, always make sure to turn off the air fryer and leave it to cool completely.