Best Under Cabinet Lighting Options for Kitchen
Save energy, get more focus lighting, eliminate shadows, and add a spice of style with the best under-cabinet lighting options for illuminating your kitchen.
Reasons to Choose Under Cabinet Lighting
- Remodel: Under Cabinet Lighting can remodel your kitchen entirely.
- Task Lighting: The sleek and slim under-cabinet lighting fixtures are good to have focused lighting over cooking areas, worktops, sinks, and small-appliance storage areas.
- Eliminate Shadows: Cabinets put un-due shadow to countertops even under the best overhead kitchen lights. Here, comes the under-cabinet lighting options that eliminate the dark spell and even make your kitchen look more spacious.
- Save Energy: Advanced LED under cabinet lighting options are energy efficient, slow to burn out, and don’t generate excess heat, thus, best for your kitchen.
- Adding Ambiance: Besides practicality, it adds a unique style and feels to your kitchen. Highlighting the backsplash and controlling dimmers can set your kitchen’s overall mood and feel. As a decorative element, these lights add to your kitchen’s interior value.
Check also: Top 10 Unique Designs for Kitchen Backsplashes
Types of Under Cabinet Lighting
LED stands for light-emitting diode. It is one of the most energy-saving and famous forms of under-cabinet lighting options for the kitchen.
A little expensive as compared to its other four counterparts but its following benefits make it preferable among others:
- Most energy-efficient option.
- Long-lasting lighting option among others, quality LED lighting generally lasts for more than 10 years.
- Produce less heat, thus, it’s more energy-efficient and safe.
- Create numerous colors on the spectrum as it comes with high color rendering index (CRI).
- Dimmable with the help of a good transformer.
- These lights don’t come with a “warm-up” period that’s why they turn on, quickly.
- Previously used only for directional lighting but now it can be used for diffused lighting by using it in the kitchen’s overhead fixtures.
Fluorescent lighting is also known as compact fluorescent lighting (CFL). It is a cheap and energy-saver lighting option.
It doesn’t emit much heat.
- Emit harsh light.
- Produce an irritating buzzing sound.
- It is not dimmable.
- Require time for “warm-up” before completely brightening.
- Frequent on & off can shorten its life.
- It can’t be thrown in ordinary trash as it uses toxic gases to turn UV light into visible light, proper disposal should be made.
Halogen bulbs have a gas compound containing halogen vapor that reacts to emit white light as electricity runs from the filament.
It is more energy-efficient as compared to fluorescent bulbs.
However, halogen lights can’t beat the other two rivals – LED and Xenon lighting because of the following facts:
- Get very hot and don’t safe to be touched.
- Produces more heat as it uses around 90% of its energy in the form of heat and only 10% in the form of real light.
- Halogen bulbs come with shortened lifespan as compared to LED lighting.
Xenon lighting casts a clear white light. But, xenon lighting uses xenon gas instead of using filament as in fluorescent bulbs. The excitation of electrons produces as the electrical current passes through that gas, to emit light.
Pros of Xenon lighting:
- Cooler to the touch, more efficient, and lasts longer as compared to halogen bulbs.
- Undoubtedly, xenon is a runner-up after the top LED lighting in terms of lifespan and brightness.
- Affordable option than the LED counterpart.
Factors to Consider before Buying the Under Cabinet Lighting
Consider the following key factors to find the best under-cabinet lighting options for brightening your kitchen:
Two main types of under-cabinet lighting in terms of voltage:
- 120V normal or line voltage
- 12V or 24V low voltage
Both are almost the same in terms of energy-saving, quality of light, and life.
Prefer low voltage lighting as:
- Fits more lights in a tight under-cabinet space, as you can use smaller light fixtures for low-voltage lighting.
- Produces less heat as compared to 120V.
Note: A transformer is needed for low-voltage lighting.
Types of wiring:
- Can connect the lights directly to the existing house wiring.
- Power is also drawn directly from a power source.
- Need a professional electrician for the installation.
- Power is drawn from a power outlet usually from a wall socket.
- More a simple and cheap option.
- Easy to install even by yourself.
- Doesn’t need any wiring requirements.
- Voltage range from 1.5 volts to 10 volts.
- You’ll have brighter light at a higher voltage as the battery will tend to push more power at a higher voltage.
- The only drawback is that you have to frequently remove them for changing or recharging their batteries.
The strip lights are used by sticking the strip via its adhesive back or sometimes screwed under your kitchen cabinets.
It’s best to use for unique layouts as the strip lights are flexible and can be customized as per your choice.
The only drawback is its fragile nature. Thus, not recommended to use for food prep or task-oriented worktops.
The name is derived from its hockey puck shape. Best to use as accent lighting. Because instead of producing an even beam of light, the puck lights emit spots or pools of light.
Can be used as task lighting if properly spaced to have no lighting breaks between the pucks.
Mostly comes in battery-powered models, has low voltage, and can be stuck with the help of its adhesive back.
One of the most popular styles of under-cabinet lighting options for illuminating your kitchen.
Features in aluminum housing with a light diffusion cover. Strong enough to be used as task lighting.
It comes in both voltages – low voltage or line voltage. Overall length measures range from 6″ to 48″.
The only issue with bar lights is that they are inflexible.
Although there is an extra cost for the dimmers but the following benefits can compensate for the cost:
- Saving energy by gaining much more control over the lighting. Simply dim it if doesn’t require bright lighting.
- Best for people with different visual needs i.e. a person with eyesight issues who wants to avoid glare and prefers low-intensity lightning.
- Perfect for changing the overall mood and ambiance of the kitchen.
All lighting comes with a color “temperature” measured in kelvins(K). Color temperatures range from cooler temperatures to warmer ones.
Cool Temperature: 5000K range and a little bluish. Super bright and bluish ranges 6000K.
Warm Temperature: range between 2700-3400K. Appear yellowish and feels softer.
They help to lessen the glare and reflections by creating a uniform light distribution on the countertops.
The fixture lenses are highly recommended to use with halogen and xenon lighting fixtures to reduce unwanted glare.
Installation & Convinenice
Consider the ease of installing the under-cabinet lighting. LED stripes are perfect for DIY lovers. On the other hand, some lights can be a bit more challenging.
Battery-powered lights or plug-in lights are easier to install as compared to hard-wiring options.
Finally, prefer the convenient under-cabinet lighting options that come with a motion sensor, hand wave, remote control, or Alexa control.
Top 5 Best Under Cabinet Lighting Options for Kitchen
Wobane Under Cabinet LED Strip Lighting kit
Proudly presents the pioneer of LED fashionable lighting, Wobane.
It features super bright LED under cabinet lighting with an RF dimmer that allows you to adjust the brightness of the lights.
- 8 LED light bars with 4 straight connector
- 2 x 20inch straight connector and 1 X “U” style connector
- 1 ETL listed adaptor
- One dimmer and 1 remote
- 2 cable holders and 3 PINs
- The Voltage of Wobane LED stripes is Volt In AC 100-240V and Volt Out: DC 12V, 2A.
- Comes with extremely Low voltage and heat.
- The power required is 2W/PC, a Total of 20W and the power source is the adapter.
- It is one of the super bright (lumen 1900lm/kit) under cabinet lighting options not only for illuminating your kitchen but also works best as shelf lights, bookcase lights, closet lights, etc.
- Comes with a beam angle of 120 degrees and a CRI >80.
- Features in warm white color with a color temperature of 2700K.
- The overall length of the Wobane light strip is 0.5 meters/PC which is 4 meters in total.
- Made from a polycarbonate material and come in 8 pre-cut pieces.
- In addition, it comes with two control methods:
- Ist one is a wireless 17-Key RF remote that controls timing off, dimming, hot buttons, rematch, and dynamic function. The RF remote works best up to 60 feet distance and cannot be restrained through the obstacles like cabinets, doors, walls, etc.
- 2nd one is the in-line dimmer control method from which you can on/off, adjust the brightness, rematch function, and memory function that will store or memorize the last setting.
- Easy DIY installation.
- All installation tools/accessories are included in the package.
- You have to simply clean the surface and stick it with the help of its adhesive backing.
- Easily extendable to smoothly cover the gap under the microwave or window.
- Its straight connector can easily work as any angle connector.
- Furniture-friendly screw-free installation.
- Amazon’s Choice for “best under cabinet lighting for kitchen”.
VYANLIGHT’s LED Motion Sensor Under Cabinet Lighting for Kitchen
The VYANLIGHT features 10 White LED Motion Sensor Lights with advanced Passive Infrared Technology (PIR). They turn ON automatically as they detect a motion within 9 feet in the dark and will not turn OFF as long as the motion is sensed by the PIR technology.
- The PIR technology not only saves you in dark by bumping into something.
- Its built-in daylight sensors save you in the daytime by not turning on at daylight, thus, saving batteries.
- Made from aluminum and acrylonitrile butadiene styrene material.
- There are 10 LEDs in each light in a pack of 3 that offer enough brightness in your kitchen.
- These energy-saving and eco-friendly lights work best under cabinets, closets, pantries, walkways, vanity mirrors, hallways, stairways, bookcases, kitchen basements, etc.
- Completely battery-powered wireless option.
- Each light bar is powered by 4 AAA batteries (note: batteries are not included in the package).
- Easy installation:
- Stick by its strong adhesive backing and screw-free installation.
- For battery replacement, just remove the lights from the magnetic strip.
- Comes as Amazon’s #1 Best Seller in Under-Counter Light Fixtures.
Starxing’s Battery Operated Wireless Led Puck Lights
With a white shell, beautiful silver ring, and natural white lighting, Starxing comes in a sleek puck design just like a biscuit that can be placed and used anywhere you want. Also, best to use as an emergency lamp.
- 6 LED Puck Lights
- 2 Remote Control
- 6 Adhesive Stick Pads
- 1 User Manual
- Comes in a color temperature of 4000K with natural white color.
- 40-lumen brightness efficiency.
- You can also adjust the brightness at 10%, 40%, 80%, and 100% levels.
- Battery-powered lights that work on 3 x AAA batteries (not included in the package).
- Saving batteries in two ways:
- Without any operation, the puck lights will turn off automatically in half an hour.
- Adjust it at low brightness to save the battery i.e. lasts 100 hours at 10% brightness and 8 hours at 100% brightness.
- This wireless, lightweight, and compact option (size: 2.4* 2.4* 1.0 inches) works best for tight areas or areas where it is not convenient to install wires i.e. rentals, dormitories, hostels, etc.
- Two smart control modes:
- Manual control: by pressing the dome button by hand.
- Remote control: works best within the control distance range of 1.6 feet~21 feet.
- Features a convenient timing-off function that turns it off automatically after a preset time of 10, 30, 60, and 120 mins.
- Easy Installation:
- Simply stick puck light on any smooth and clean surface
- For changing the battery, just rotate its cover.
- The sleek, portable, and environment-friendly puck lights are perfect for under-the-table, vanity mirrors, Halloween pumpkin lanterns, valentine dinners, Christmas decor, etc.
- Amazon’s #1 Best Seller in Under-Counter Fixture Mounting.
LEPOTEC’s 30-LED Rechargeable Motion Sensor Cabinet Lights
LEPOTEC features smooth and compact designed rechargeable lights with advanced intelligent lighting functions.
- 2 Rechargeable LED Motion Sensor Lights
- Two Iron sheets
- One USB cable
- 1 User manual
- 8 Adhesive tapes
- Comes with 30 lamp beads that emit light on the side and light passes through the diffuser plate for even distribution.
- Although the light is brighter by up to 200 lumens it is quite soft and avoids undue glare.
- Built-in 1000mAh Lithium battery (3.7V) that is rechargeable with the help of a USB cable.
- Made of aluminum alloy.
- Comes with 3 switch modes:
- On – instantly on
- Off – instantly off
- G – on motion sensor mode (works best within a 3-meter distance) and light sensor mode (works in the low light condition).
- Note: Place a distance between two lights as one’s light causes the other not to light up.
- Easy installation, as it sticks anywhere with the help of a magnetic strip, iron sheet, and adhesive tape that are included in the package.
- Overall light size: 7.8 x 1.6 x 0.4inches with a weight of around 11.6 ounces.
- The color temperature is around 3000-3500K.
Brilliant Evolution LED Wireless Puck Lights
The Brilliant Evolution Wireless LED Puck lights come with simple installation and brilliant brightness of 3000K warm white light to give your kitchen a happy glow!
- The product’s overall size is 3.37 x 3.37 x 1.25 inches.
- Having light of 55 lumens of light, they are ideal pucks for under-cabinet kitchen lighting.
- Also, you can add accents around your home with these puck cuties.
- Easy installation with 3M Tape and mounting screws that are included in the package.
- The puck lights run on 3 AA batteries (that are not included) with a 100-hour run time.
- It lasts 4 times longer as compared to other puck lights.
- Run with a remote and tap lens that turns the lights on and off by simply tapping the lens.
- Compatible with other Brilliant Evolution puck light remotes.
- The wireless and portable pucks are best to use for your kitchen, bathroom, pantry, closet, office, garage, bedroom, staircase, etc.